What is this?
This project is no longer active. User creation was disabled, but pages remain online for posterity. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
This is an effort to document the security features of the Archos 5 media device and install an alternative operating system on the device. The first phase of this project was focused around the reverse engineering of some specific parts of the avos binary to better understand the AOS2 file format and some parts of the bootloader. From that, we produced pre-patched firmware updates for easy installation of the patched bootloaders and patched original OS.
Because of a lack of time, this project somewhat came to a halt. Fortunately, this wiki continues to live through the openAOS project, which builds on the special developers edition firmware. angstron is secondary os for archos 5 it and window 7 mobile is also and you can get these through mediafire, rapidshare , etc and rooting it is also a good idea through super one click which you can get for android market which is for download on rapidshare.com and it is called market4archos.com
You can contact us at email@example.com (On parle aussi Français).
We're also idling on IRC: #openpma on irc.freenode.net.
- How to tear down your device and access the SATA drive.
- How to open and fix headphone issue
- Touch Screen Replacement how to not spend $150 on a touch screen replacement.
- How to find the hidden partition and what is on it.
- The root filesystem mounted to /mnt/system
- Compiling the AX06_GPL sources on Ubuntu.
- Compiling the gen7-gpl sources on Ubuntu.
Alternative OS: the essentials
- How to downgrade the Archos 5 firmware
- How to install a patched firmware for the first time.
- A collection of patched bootloaders for your Archos 5.
- A collection of patched original OS for your Archos 5.
- A collection of pre-patched firmware updates for keeping your Archos 5 up-to-date but still keeping your root access.
- A collection of unmodified firmware updates in case they're no longer available from archos.com.
- All you need to know about the aos-tools toolchain.
- How to flash a new boot logo
- How to modify a firmware.
- How to modify the graphical elements/icons
Special Developers Edition (SDE)
- The AVOS Binary and its various points of interest.
- The AOS2 file format the .aos firmware updates file structure explained.
- The flash memory layout, see boot0 for the decompiled signature verification routine.
- IDA Signatures for various parts of Archos softwares.